The “little black dress” is considered essential to a complete wardrobe by many women and fashion observers, who believe it a “rule of fashion” that every woman should own a simple, elegant black dress that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion: for example, worn with a jacket and pumps for daytime business wear or with more ornate jewelry and accessories for evening.
Anyone with a little black dress will not need telling why they are so wonderful but a reminder is always good when you feel like you have nothing to wear. Little black dresses are brilliant because…
- They come in a variety of shapes and designs. Long, short, pencil skirt, flared skirt, long sleeved, halter neck, tube, spaghetti straps – the list is endless.
- Black is very very slimming no matter what size you wear.
- Whatever the occasion it never looks out of place (as long as the sleeves and length are appropriate).
- You can go from work to a cocktail party without changing (what an emotional roller-coaster of a day that would be).
- You can dress it down with thick black tights, flat shoes, a cardigan or a blazer.
- You can dress it up with a flash of color in your make-up, with extravagant jewelery, beautiful shoes or a super belt.
- You can wear the same dress for a week and look different every day with the wonder of accessories.
- You can have ten completely different black dresses in your wardrobe without feeling guilty.
- You can look great in a little black dress whether it cost $20 or $2,000.
- You know it will never go out of fashion so it is a long term investment.
- It can be elegant, chic, sexy, formal, relaxed, reserved, you can stand out or blend into the background.